Music Banter - View Single Post - Colour Coded Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #126 (permalink)
Roygbiv
marquee moon

RED
ADVENTURE TELEVISION

Television put themselves in a tough spot after their masterpiece debut LP “Marquee Moon”: What music will you make when you explored the pinnacles of your talent on your first go-round? If Marquee Moon was ground breaking, if it split the Earth into valleys and grooves, then Adventure fills those valleys with cement. In other words, it’s a fine companion to Marquee Moon, but it’s not as reckless as its older brother.

In fact, “Adventure” is so musically reserved, if it weren’t for Tom Verlaine’s easily recognizable vocals you wouldn’t think it’s the same band. I can’t think of a better example than Adventure and Marquee Moon as two albums in a band’s discography that should switch titles. Marquee Moon conjures the image for a sombre night, an image perfect for the predominantly subdued songs on Adventure, whereas Marquee Moon’s songs are more exploratory, and it’s 10 minute centerpiece is a journey onto itself. But that’s just a futile fantasy, so let’s focus on what we’ve got already.

Adventure is more roots rock than garage rock. The spiraling guitar work is still present, albeit anemic compared to Marquee Moon. It’s not a bad album, don’t get me wrong; it’s catchy as hell. But listen to Marquee Moon first, please. I recommend it so greatly that the Youtube video at the end of this review is actually a song from Marquee Moon.

MARQUEE MOON

Roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote