Music Banter - View Single Post - NeutralHead Collective - In The Merryweather Rainbow over the Spectacular (2009)
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I don't know why some people are getting so upset over this. I have music by all the bands being parodied here. Some I like more than others but I don't openly hate any of them.

I think this thread just goes to show exactly whats wrong with music these days. Too many acts being hailed as something they're not, blowing any sort of good qualities these bands have out of proportion to the point where you wonder if they're even talking around the same record.

It's always 'now! now! now!' , everything has to be mindblowingly brilliant about a first album, And if it's not most of the time they're written off after just 2 or 3 albums. Gone are the days when a band could learn their trade in relative obscurity honing their craft in both songwriting and playing. I mean aside from a one off novelty hit single nobody gave a **** about Thin Lizzy until their 6th album. And the same was true of a lot of bands like them at that time.

I don't blame the bands for any of all this, I blame the music press for having to sensationalise everything. I mean Oracular Spectacular was voted by the NME as the album of 2008 and given 8/10.

Lets think about that, 8/10. That means the NME think that album deserves a place among the top 20% of every album ever made ever. Which of course is ridiculous for a blatantly average electronica album.

That's why there's so much crappy music around, people are satisfied to overhype albums that are nothing more than average.

Bands don't even have to make an effort anymore to be praised to high heaven, just look at In Rainbows for proof of that.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote