Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #2311 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

I love The Clash. But I just want to post something this guy on ProgArchives wrote because I think it's a very good point.

Quote:
Consider this, Yes TFTO ocean is often cited by some as the beginning of the end for prog, because it's detractors consider too over the to, lacking substance, that this is why prog had to end.
Well if that is true, why didn't Sadinista by the Clash signify the the end for punk? it was a three disc over the top mess, and unlike TFTO which has strong admirers Sadinista is almost universally panned.
So to me this shows how one sided the industry is, a band that is more than musically competent and competent enoughdoes something bold and they are scorned, while another band that pretty underwhelming in musicality does something sprawling beyond their own ability and are still considered heroes today.
Just remeber this if any punk/hipster say prog rock was too pretentious just answer back Sadinista! that should shut them up, after all Yes weren't too arrogant to say that they were the only band that mattered like the Clash did.

also of note Clash leader Joe Strummer was a rich boy the son of a diplomat and went to boarding school, while Jon Anderson was not so privileged had less oppurtunites (his daughter went to boarding school to get the education he didn't get) and had to work on farms and drive taxis before creating Yes, so folks I believe the Clash was pretentious, and some working class band needs to shake the industry up to stop this upper class pretentious nonsense, I nominate Yes.
Flame shields ready.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.