Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 01:21 AM   #2325 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
The odd song fine , but not whole albums, Hawkwind being obvious exception. And I guess Diamond Dogs too.
But here's the thing, most prog bands don't do sci fi or fantasy themed songs anymore often than most of the artists I mentioned.

Genesis being one of the exceptions, there is a lot of fantasy in their work. But I know you can't stand them, so whatever.

And of course Hawkwind, who are probably the most sci fi band ever, let alone the most sci fi oriented prog band. And then there's Van Der Graaf Generator, Gong and Magma. Also very sci fi heavy bands. And Rush too I reckon.

But c'mon.

Flaming Lips did two sci fi themed albums, including Yoshimi, which you cited as your favorite album from them. P Funk made a lot of concept albums with sci fi themes. Pixies and Frank Black pretty much had an obsession with UFOs. David Bowie had been doing sci fi stuff for pretty much the majority of his 70s career. Iron Maiden did a lot of sci fi and fantasy stuff.

And Black Sabbath have even Yes and Zep beat when it comes to fantasy oriented songs.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.