Music Banter - View Single Post - Songs The Lord Taught Us - The Works of The Cramps
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Cramps - Gravest Hits EP
(1979)

Tracks

1 Human Fly 2:15
2 The Way I Walk 2:43
3 Domino 3:08
4 Surfin' Bird 5:08
5 Lonesome Town 3:15

After releasing two independent singles in 77, The Cramps were quickly signed to fledgling label IRS in late 1977. Already achieving a significant underground following, The Cramps rose to prominence nationally with the now legendary live performance at the California State Mental Hospital in Napa. On the back of this well achieved notoriety, in 1979 The Cramps re-released their first singles again, as well as a new EP. Released in July 1979 on Illegal/IRS Records, this five track EP was originally recorded in Memphis at The Ardent Studios in 1977. Produced by Alex Chilton, this was The Cramps laying down the blueprint for their Garage Punk Rockabilly sound. On this EP we have one original composition and four Cramptastic covers.

The EP begins with the now infamous Human Fly. This is the only song on the EP which is penned by Ivy and Interior, and would ultimately become the signature tune for The Cramps for many years to come. The 1950’s guitar riff found on this song is nothing short of hypnotic, this fabulous riff is joined by some marvelous reverb and some extraordinary dark and gothic vocals; this really is a staggering song. Following this fine opener is the 1959 Jack Scott song, The Way I Walk. Rock n Roll songs from Detroit are usually perfectly defined to begin with, but here The Cramps fine-tune this beauty so it sounds more akin to a Garage band from 1966 from the same city but with a hint of sinister appeal, howls included. Unashamedly underground and bluesy, with a sprinkling of over the top Elvis impersonations from Interior, this song is splendid.

Another Rock n Roll favorite follows on track 3, The Cramps version of Domino once again creates brilliant results. A lot more upbeat and fast tempo’d than the previous two songs; this is a foot tapper pure and simple. The vocal style of this song from Interior is very reminiscent of those legends of the 1950’s and early 1960’s. Speaking of which, the fourth song on this Garage revival is The Trashmen's groundbreaking masterpiece Surfin’ Bird from 1963. If there was a song made for Lux Interior to perform, this was that song. At just over five minutes, it is much longer than the original; this is in part due to the quite disturbing middle section, which I personally love.

This debut EP finishes perfectly with the ever so lovely cover of Lonesome Town, I say lovely not because it is, but because compared to the previous four songs it is kind of mellow, although the sound of hearing a man sob a minute in is not really lovely at all. One thing that can be said for this song is that it does create a mood, I’ll grant it that.

The Gravest Hits EP was The Cramps announcing to the world of their arrival and what could be expected in future years, launching their manifesto of Garage Punk Rockabilly with absolutely stunning results. As debut EPs go, this must surely rank up there with some of the finest.

Last edited by TheCellarTapes; 06-17-2009 at 03:55 PM.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote