Music Banter - View Single Post - The Quiet Man in the Corner
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

Trance:
OceanLab - Lonely Girl
Label : Anjunabeats
Release : June 15th, 2009
Versions : Original, Gareth Emery Remix, Ronski Speed Remix

Original : In their usual style, Above & Beyond (Above & Beyond [producers] + Justine Suissa [vocals] = OceanLab), come with a progressive and simple style. The pop oriented vocals give the song most of its melodic quality along with a bit of piano work and subtle synths. I do think it's a fantastic song however almost all Above & Beyond songs end up being huge tunes. For this reason, I think they could do much better. Having said that it is my favorite version due to it's simplicity and it's general sound. Perfect for lounging at the beach. Overall, a pretty good song but I think they could do better : 7+/10

Gareth Emery Remix : In the buildup I got all kinds of excited, it sounds just as trance should. Melodic, atmospheric, and the fantastic vocals from Justine only make it better. The break, however, introduces a very familiar spacey trance melody that I mentioned in the review of Alex M.O.R.P.H.'s Sunset Boulevard. I hear it quite often and it just takes me out of the song completely. It just sounds horrible. Although if it's used so much then the majority of people like it. This song is one of the more popular versions so it's just a personal thing. IF that had been left out then probably an 8+/10.. but since it is, 7/10.

Ronski Speed Remix : This one offers quite a different sound to the release. Out of all three versions, Ronski goes with an aggressive tech edge. It sounds fantastic! It's a nice change from the other 2 epic progressive tunes. However the main issue is since it's quite brash, Justine's beautiful oneiric voice seems out of place. Everything else though is quite nice. A really well made remix: 8/10

Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 04-14-2010 at 03:10 PM.
CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote