Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #278 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

I could've sworn I posted mine in here, but going back through the thread I haven't, I will rectify that now!

In no particular order:

Gift of Gab

The man that got me into hip hop in the first place. Incredibly talented MC with a flow like no other and a provocative mind that allows him to explore more abstract ideas that not many MC's can go.

Sadistik

Newcomer in the Hip Hop world, but this kid's got some serious chops. I relate a little too well with his lyrics which immediately put him in a unique position that not everybody I listen to gets to go.

MF Grimm

Tough choice between him and MF Doom but I had to go with Grimm. His flows and ability to ride the beat are slightly better than Doom's as well as Grimm recorded "The Downfall of Ibliys: A Ghetto Opera" in a single day while out on bail.

Buck 65

Kooky Canadian MC from Nova Scotia of all places, this guy is has some weird things to say. Very much like Aesop Rock or Busdriver as far as abstract lyrics go, but he can also really ride the beat and spin a record.

Gruf The Druid

I'd be really surprised if anyone else on this forum knew of this guy. Another guy from my Canadian collection, he is by far the weirdest mofo that I've ever heard, but his stuff is extremely well done and really focuses on nature, something I wish more hip hop would take an interest in.

K'Naan

Man... it's been three years since "The Dusty Foot Philosopher" graced my ears, but after that album this guy was given a personal spot in my top ten. Originally from Somalia he really paints a picture of how ****ed up Africa is and how pathetic a lot of North American MC's are for making poverty and being hardcore a status statement. I doubt 50 Cent ever had to throw a live hand grenade out of the window while he was at school when he was 12.

Aesop Rock

I think he was my second hip hop artist I got and still gets extremely high play with me, I find the time to spin "Labor Days" at least once a week. Sure his lyrics may not make much sense and he has a tendency to stop all over the beat, but he's heart felt and real, and that's more than enough to earn my respect.

Scroobius Pip

Bit of an odd name, but this guy has some serious chops and can write the most intelligent hip hop I've heard in years. His debut album "Angles" was a hot contender for my Best albums of 2008. I have never seen an MC manage to hit so many chords with me on just one album, one song even, I cannot wait to hear some of his new stuff.

Input

My most recent addition to my list, but he really hit me hard with his album "A Radio With Guts". Young kid from Denver, he really works on the same wave length as I do and I've found a lot of parallels in his lyrics with things I've been saying or thinking.

Lee Raback

Vocalist in the sadly defunct Canadian hip hop group WarsawpacK. Very politically and environmentally conscious, however he lacks the anger that Zack De La Rocha had in favor of more laid back method of delivery that is just as effective. I'm happy that they were able to put out two albums before calling it quits, but I'm sad that I never got to see them

Honorable Mentions:

Deacon The Villain and Kno from CunninLynguists
Phrase
P.O.S.
Mos Def
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote