Music Banter - View Single Post - Hate Crimes
Thread: Hate Crimes
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #209 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
If it happens on school property I could see why the school could apply some form of punishment. If the abuse takes place off of school grounds than the school has no business intervening.

Outside of self defense there is no reason to cause harm to another human being against their consent. Adding extra for an emotion is silly. Premeditation should determine the sentence, not the motive.
I see what your saying, however, at my particular University here in New Zealand, if you commit a crime of any sort on or off campus, you can be fined/punished by the University due to being representative of it's institution as it can draw a lot of bad press. So this could be applied in schools, to account for bullying in and out of school. Just because it happens off grounds doesn't mean something shouldn't be done about those who are committing the acts at their associated schools

I think you're simplifying things too much. You can't just say, oh that person killed someone, it was wrong, that's it. Emphasis is always going to be on the motives to why someone committed a crime. Therefore, a motive of racial, religious or sexuality needs to be taken into account to separate those who kill randomly from those who kill for a deeper reason. If the issues of hate arn't addressed, peoples minds will never change, and people will continue to hurt others due to their status once they have completed a sentence.

Why do you think there are so many reoffenders? Because governments do not provide adequate kinds of reform for those in prison or on home detention.