Music Banter - View Single Post - Want A Record Player, Have Questions
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
asshat
king of sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower Child View Post

Yeah, I like the sound of an actual vintage one, thats what I would really like, but I just don't have the money to blow on wrenching around on it all the time. I think I'm just gonna get one like what you are talking about, like at Sears or JCPennys. Well, unfortunatly I live out in the middle of the prairie, so finding ANYHING is a challenge for me, but I'm sure there are a few places around here I could come up with some albums. Thanks for the info good buddy.
....as far as record players go, there's nothing special about a record player being old....it either plays a record or it doesn't. If you buy it new at least it's guaranteed to work....I know I've wasted my time looking through pawn shops. People think records and record players are some kind of exotic animal. If you go anywhere in the big city though you'll find at least 10 copies of a particular album you wanted(hendrix, beatles, etc.).

...I don't listen to records because they're old, I listen to them because they genuinely sound better.(I think cds are compressed to like 15 tracks whereas vinyl has like 24 tracks).
....if you live in the prairie, there's websites like interpunk and insound that sell new vinyl.There's also ebay---just remember a lot of this **** isn't rare.( if you go to any record store you'll find at least 20 copies of any kiss album), so don't pay more than like $15 for any of them used.

....the hard part in the whole record collecting deal is finding a decent stereo receiver that still has a "phono" output. Though this might change soon because vinyl will probably be the only physical piece of music that's still available in 10 years.
asshat is offline   Reply With Quote