Music Banter - View Single Post - Faith No More appreciation thread
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Can't believe there was no FNM thread before today! Shame on MB of the past.

I've loved these guys since I first saw the "Epic" video on MTV way back when, and Mike Patton has been one of my favorite singers since, also. Unfortunately I never got to see them live...my parents wouldn't let me go to the Metallica/FNM/GnR show, I was like 15 I guess. Bastards. And I didn't start going to shows till I was 17 or 18. Like Jackhammer, I lost touch with them at some point, but for me it was after Angel Dust. I'm not sure really what happened, I think I just got more into industrial and punk, I don't know. So eventually, I think in 98 or 99, I was talking to a guy that told me I really should check out their last two albums, so I did and FNM and I were re-joined. I like both but think I prefer Album of the Year.

It's really tough for me to pick a favorite album. For years I liked The Real Thing best. Some of my favorite tracks are definitely on that album ("Surprise! You're Dead!", "Zombie Eaters", "Underwater Love", etc.) But now the production sounds very dated and thin to me, and Mike's vocals are more nasally than I've become used to. I'd love a remaster of that album, big time. It would really refresh my enjoyment of it. Angel Dust was always awesome but some songs I don't care for that much, I guess. I don't hate them, but there was always something about a couple of them that didn't sit well with me. "RV" and "Ji-zlobber" are awesome. I really like the mellow crooners on the last two albums. "Helpless", "She Loves Me Not", etc.

I like the early pre-Patton stuff too, but not as much. Before I learned about the band's history, I did assume that it was Patton singing "We Care a Lot". They are somewhat similar (early Patton, anyway) if you're not paying close attention.

I would kill to see a reunion show...though festivals aren't my thing and I would prefer to see them in a small indoor venue. That will probably never happen. At least I can say I saw Mr. Bungle in such an environment. I'm also usually against band reunions because when they make new albums they usually suck, but my love of FNM is so deep that I've give 'em a pass and let them record a new album. I like Patton's voice so much and enjoy him in a rock environment more than anything, so I don't think there's any chance I would not like it (unless we're talking 10+ years from now or something).