Music Banter - View Single Post - Cheapest durable guitar simply for learning
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Default Review of Fender Fat Strat Pack (guitar, amp, cables, tuner, nylong bag, picks)

Hi, Odyshape,

I bought a Fender Fat Strat Pack (guitar, amp, cables, tuner, nylon guitar bag, a few Fender guitar picks) for $299.99 U.S. dollars (with tax it came to $320.99) in Dec. 2008, and have been very satisfied with the electric guitar, small Fender amplifier, and tuner.

I purchased them from a local music store although they were available online for less. I like the people at our local music store here in Iowa, where one of the employees checks over the guitar when it comes in and shows you how to hook it up, as well as basics like "Don't unplug the guitar when the amp is on!" etc. (which I found out the hard way). I also have found the book "Electric Guitar for Dummies" and similar ones very helpful, too.

I enjoy hearing the variety of sounds the Fender Fat Strat electric guitar and amp can make, ranging from harp-like to heavy distortion. When I first figured out (following the directions for the amplifier) how to get distortion, I was quite pleased because lo and behold it actually sounded like an electric guitar!

I like the fact that the guitar has two traditional single pickups and one humbucker pickup which I feel enables a warmer, janglier sound and a greater variety of sounds than one might have if one's guitar just has the single pickups.

The amplifier is small, but I never go beyond the 3 or 4 volume setting (which goes up to 10), because anything beyond volume 4 is extremely loud and would damage one's ears in the home setting. In other words, the amplifier is more than big enough for my current uses.

I am using Elixer Light electric guitar strings to replace strings as they break, and like them as well. I also purchased Schaller security strap locks and buttons in regular nickel to keep the guitar strap from falling off. (This was occuring with the guitar strap as supplied by the company). These Schaller strap locks got good reviews at the online Guitar Center, and cost $24.99. I recommend them. You just need a Philips screw drive to screw them in in place of the knobs that come with the Fender Fat Strat.

My motto is "You can work wonders with mediocrity," and so I was not looking for an expensive guitar. Just as a good photograph with interesting composition and content can be taken with an inexpensive camera, and good music can be enjoyed whether it is played on an old record player or a new CD, I feel expensive gear is unnecessary to make music that one likes.

I have been very satisfied with the Fender Strat Pack and recommend it. I have made one public recording using the guitar with light distortion if you wish to hear how the guitar sounds in my hands at least (you can access our MySpace page through my contact information).

I hope this helps, if you haven't already made your decision!

--Erica
from Vegangelica

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 06-04-2009 at 10:10 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote