Music Banter - View Single Post - Think about this
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #36 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
I wonder if as the traditional role of God and his home continues the religion and God are not as much dying as adapting. Pertaining to the holes, I'm also not sure that I agree with the presumption the death of good would coincide with some sort of "abandonment of morality". I do believe in any god suggested, suspected or claimed to existence by humans and yet I feel a strong comfort in my moral base. I don't think morality began with the began with the idea or discovery of God and I don't think it will end with God's death.

Is it not possible that with the absence of God comes resolution with death. An acceptance, instead of an uncertainty. The worst part about dying is not knowing when it's going to happen. The worst and best part about anything is the anticipation. What's to stop people from focusing more on their own life and their own wills and motivations without God to steer them.

For all we know our lives are actually the span of the Universe, or the universe is just a creation individual to each one's psyche.

It's Occam's Razor to the umpteenth power but I like to deal with hypothetical using the rules of the World I know.

I love the bullet in the back metaphor and yes everything in life seems to be spherical and a lot of things do end right about where they started.

When\how do you suppose\believe God was created and\or discovered?
i like your super-subjective approach where each individual's life span is the life span of the universe. in that picture, God was discovered probably somewhere a third of the way through. i guess enlightenment traditionally comes after a period of apprenticeship, so probably when the sojourner is in his/her early twenties or something. the how of it would probably be the conclusion of their quest for truth, a 'final understanding' of how things fit together and why anything happens, the true nature of space and time... in this sense then God would be outside of space and time since all these different lives converge and intersect on this one point that is God. perhaps, further, that convergence is what holds time and space together to begin with.

as far as not needing God as a basis of morality, I think that if you examine any morality closely enough you can always trace it back to some principle, say 'love' for instance, which is ultimately in some sense being deified. i sometimes take a 'pantheon' or animistic view of the universe, where i think of each emotional state as being a god, for instance there is a god of pain, a god of love, a god of boredom, a god of apathy, a god of contentment, etc. and all life is the eternal drama between these gods, as they change places, dance, fight, etc.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote