Music Banter - View Single Post - Your introduction to hiphop
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
theimperialwarcult
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourmeanother View Post
Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I wasn't sure which terms I could use to search for it...

What got you into hiphop for the first time in your life?

For me, what got me into "hiphop" was honestly Will Smith 'Willenium'. Feel free to laugh, I still do too... however, I don't regret that- because without it I wouldn't have transitioned into the genre, and I wouldn't be where I am today (since I'm constantly improving/discovering new additions for my taste).

I remember, it's 8th grade, and I want to look into this whole "rap" thing, but had NOOO clue where to start. So, I asked for a Will Smith CD because I knew the one song from the movie 'Wild Wild West'. I remember getting made fun of, and deciding I should look into stuff a little more and buy my next album after some research. A bit later I had my sister pick up Dr. Dre's '2001'- and I haven't looked back.

I hid it from my parents- partially due to the chron on the cover, but also because it was the first time I listened to music that had cussing in it.

Since that day it has become my favorite genre and I can say I've come a long way. I still have that Will Smith CD, but I think it's been gathering dust since it hasn't been spun since 8th grade

What about you kind ladies and gents?
That's awesome!
I totally would just Flip the booklet so that the album cover no longer faces the cover to prevent my parents from seeing the parental advisory sticker/logo. Got caught a few times, they made me return some CDs to the store which was pretty lame.
I recently got into hip-hop. I've mostly been into punk and stoner rock pretty much for ever. The artist the really opened up this genre for me was Sage Francis about 3 years ago. One of my co-workers was playing his most recent album. I liked it so much that I obtained all the music by him that I could find.