Music Banter - View Single Post - Basic recording
Thread: Basic recording
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
PerFeCTioNThrUSileNCe
Bright F*cking Red

If any of your friends have Apple computers, Garage Band is a FAR better program than Audacity or anything you're going to find for free on the internet. You just have to work with it a little and you can get some pretty good recordings. Most people don't realize that. It's nothing compared to Protools obviously...but it'll get you some decent sounding recordings.

Craigslist is a great place to look for used equipment. Unless you're super nit-picky about your sound (which you can't really afford to be on a $600 budget), pretty much any microphone will do. You can use a dynamic mic for pretty much everything if you can't afford a condenser. EQing and adding compression with the program you use will clean up the sound pretty well.

My last tip: if you're using a small mixer, don't go direct with the stringed instruments (if they're electric that is). It will sound like garbage. Mic an amp, even if it's a small practice amp. It will sound a thousand times better and again, you'll be able to refine the sound digitally.
My ego's like my stomach- it keeps shitting what I feed it.
But maybe I don't want to finish anything anymore..
maybe I can wait in bed 'til she comes home. and whispers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Star
Remember kids: It's only real metal if the vocalist sounds like he's vomiting up a fetus. \m/
PerFeCTioNThrUSileNCe is offline   Reply With Quote