Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Most Important Albums To You
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #236 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

I have ranking things in order, so this has no order to it.

CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange

I never get tired of listening to this album, the pieces are all there to make it one of the greatest hip hop albums ever produced. The beats are catchy, the lyrics are intelligently written and delivered flawlessly and the guests were really well chosen for each track. I spin this album at least once a week and it's usually always on my MP3 player or MP3 CD.

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

Such a powerhouse album, one track running in at 60 minutes long. I love listening to this album at least once a month. I use to smoke up with this album playing in my headphones, laying back on the couch and just listening at peace, some of the best memories I have that are marijuana and music related. I could easily see this album surviving 100 years from now and being regarded in the same sense that we regard Mozart or Bach today.

Opeth - Blackwater Park

This was one of the toughest decisions to make as I love all of Opeth's albums. One of the strongest bands I've ever seen, they have never released a bad album to me, some have been stronger than others, but each are enjoyable in their own way. "Blackwater Park" was my first introduction to Opeth and I don't think anybody could ask for a better introduction to a band as amazing as Opeth. Solid from start to finish.

Strapping Young Lad - City

Along with "Blackwater Park" I think "City" was my first introduction to Strapping Young Lad and I don't think anybody could recommend a better album to start. Extremely ferocious and heavy but retaining some tongue-in-cheek dark humor that is a staple of Strapping Young Lad and Devin Townsend. Recently I recommended it to Antonio and I believe he really liked it.

WarsawpacK - Gross Domestic Product

Unknown Canadian hip hop/ reggae group who as ohkasey described their sound "Like if Rage Against the Machine took a chill pill but with better grooves". Very politcally and environmentally critical, yet retaining intelligent and insightful debates and arguments, rather than the typical "**** Bush and all the Republicans" that seems to be the only argument you can get from some bands. Sadly they have disbanded

The Smalls - My Dear Little Angle

Another little known Canadian group from Edmonton Alberta, these guys were an eclectic blend of jazz, punk, metal, and some country. "My Dear Little Angle" was their debut album and I don't think you could have asked for a stronger debut. Extremely bass driven songs that are surprisingly heavy, yet retaining jazz influences, this is another band that has sadly disbanded

LuciDream - Choose The Madness

Yet another Canadian band, this one being from Calgary (unofficially known as Canada's Armpit). "Choose The Madness" does everything right for me as far as hip hop is concerned. All the guitar parts are acoustic, but the lyrics are what really drive the album. I reviewed it last week in my Music Journal, however I think I praised it a little too highly as it was unable to live up to the unreasonable expectations that I had created for it. Regardless of that, it is a phenomenal album from start to finish with intelligent and beautifully written lyrics that are extremely thought provoking.

Devin Townsend - Terria

Anybody who follows my music knows how much of a Devin Townsend fanatic I am and this list wouldn't be complete if I left one of his albums off. "Terria" is a bit of an odd choice for some, because it was released at a weird time in his life, where he had already been diagnosed with bi-polar depression and was on treatment for it. It had been 4 years since he released anything with Strapping Young Lad, and the year before he released his 3rd solo album "Physicist" that was heavy and angry enough to qualify as a Strapping album. "Terria" is far more environmentally conscious and after listening to it all the way through I could easily see Devin spending time out in the Canadian wilderness to get inspiration. Containing tracks like "Nobody's Here", "Earth Day", and "Canada" this is probably his most underrated album, and one of 2001's finest entry's.

Elliott BROOD - Ambassador

People who know my taste in music were probably anticipating this album on this list. Gothic Country at it's finest, the songs are brilliantly dark, yet hauntingly beautiful. A perfect introduction to the band that launched them into a type of fame. If you're looking for something that is dark yet beautiful, this is oen of the albums to look for.

Gruvis Malt - ... With the Spirit of a Traffic Jam

I believe this was my first entry in my "A Gift From Me To You" series that I started a month ago. This album really did a number on me when I heard it for the first time last year. A perfect blend of progressive rock with jazz and hip hop influences, this is one of my favorite "
chill out" albums. For some reason I've found it works better during the winter time, the album seems to warm you up when you listen to it. I hope the people that received it enjoyed it as much as I do, and if you didn't receive it but want to give it a try, please feel free to PM me.

Honorable Mentions

Rehab - Graffiti The World
The Interpestuals - ReviveR
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Meshuggah - Catch 33
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote