Music Banter - View Single Post - Cheapest durable guitar simply for learning
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Default Stringing guitar for left-handed person: flip nut or purchase new one

Hi, Cheezyridr,

I doublechecked on the internet (which of course wouldn't lead us astray!) to verify if the book "Electric Guitars for Dummies" had taught me wrong, and the web site I read said that one can string a guitar for left-handed people to use like I wrote, but (like you said) there may be some issues that cause problems.

These potential probems are...

(1) The nut may need to be flipped around (or a new one purchased) if it has slots designed to hold strings of a particular diameter;

(2) The right-handed guitar used for left-handed playing can, but may not necessarily, produce some poor sound quality.

They recommended purchasing a left-handed guitar if one has the option, but apparently switching a right-handed to a left-handed guitar worked fine for Jimi Hendrix and others who copycatted him. I wonder if there is a Fender Squire guitar that is made for left-handers to use and costs the same as the right-handed one? That would be good to check, especially when one is on a limited budget.

Ahh...the epithet "angel mcveggiepants." I'm glad you mentioned this, because it gives me a chance to clarify! The "angel" in vegangelica is deceptive, because actually "angelica" is the scientific name for a genus of tall, stout, fragrant herbs within the carrot family...carrots, of course, being the universal symbol of vegetarianism!

Angelica is also a dessert wine made from grapes (again, a symbol of earth's fecundity and plenty).

Alas, as an atheist I would probably be unlikely to ever be an angel, if most of the traditional (and conflicting) main religions are correct about us "freethinkers" and our post-death death or tortured immortality in a hell. So, instead of using "Angel mcveggiepants" I will have to humbly sign off as...

...Carrot McVeggiePants

(but you may call me Grape McVeggiePants if you prefer, Cheezyridr)
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote