Music Banter - View Single Post - Best and Worst Gig Experience
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

My best concert so far was actually a collection of concerts during a weekend in October of '08 that I spent for the most part in a drunken/ stoned state when I was awake. Friday was Opeth which just totally blew me away, the venue was awesome for them too because the acoustics of The Commodore Ballroom are just perfect for metal shows. The next night was The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, a local Vancouver punk rock band that base most of their songs off H.P. Lovecraft works. The next day was Amon Amarth at a ****ty venue, but Amon Amarth were amazing and the beer and tickets were cheap so I can't complain too much. Finally the Monday was O'Death at the worst venue in Vancouver (The Media Club) but like Amon Amart, the tickets were cheap and I got to see O'Death who were ****ing amazing.

My worst was quite easily The Police in Oakland back in June 2007. I was super excited to see them with a friend, but my god were they boring. First the tickets told us to be there at 7 and then we got to sit through two opening acts. The first one I think was Stings son's band, who were alright, nothing spectacular but better than the next at The Fratellis. I'm sorry but those guys are ****ing horrible live, especially in a stadium. When The Police finally took to the stage, they were so far apart that it didn't really feel like a band effort. Also they played most of the newer stuff, after Ghost In The Machine, and a **** load of Stings solo work. To top it off they did extremely long renditions of "Can't Stand Losing You" and "Roxanne" which just got boring really fast.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote