Music Banter - View Single Post - Most infuriating music fans: Boobs edition
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #45 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95
I ain't a metalhead & I see Pearl Jam, Soundgarden & Alice In Chains as all being superior to Nirvana. You cant stereotype things like that. Also, I must ask where do you fit in amongst all this?
Probably this one.

Prog fans

"Oh wait boobs, but I thought..."

Well you're right, technically I'm one of them. But I'm talking about a specific kind of prog fan, and it's very far from a minority.

Prog makes up the majority of my music collection, but it's very far from being my entire music collection. And for a genre that's all about pushing the limits and expanding one's musical horizons, rest assured, as with any fanbase, there are the hardcore elitists. The kinda dopes who think every other genre of music is inferior.

You'll find a lot of them on ProgArchives. People who seem to think only two kinds of music genres exist in the world. Progressive rock and "generic pop". Seriously, prog should never be too accessible, because prog fans will f*cking lose their sh*t when that happens. For a genre that's supposed to be about crossing genre boundries, these people seem to think of pop elements in prog as absolute heresy, but since they all love Gentle Giant, they really have no clue what pop actually is, but if they think it's pop, then it's automatically crap. They also have a very limited understanding of the term "generic", which to them just means anything that's not prog. So yeah, Radiohead is just generic pop.

A lot of them hardly even know what "progressive" means. For them it means sounding exactly like a 70s prog band. So while Radiohead are not progressive, Marillion are even though they're basically just late 70s Genesis + David Gilmour.

And why it's so obligatory for every prog fan to fap over Marillion, I'll never know.

These are the kinda people who think Diamond Dogs is better than Young Americans "because it's proggier". And how do you deal with people like that? Answer? You can't.

They're not abrasive like other fanboys, they usually hide behind politeness, but their irrational prog fanboism remains intact at all times. They're a distant cousin to the classic rock elitist, but possibly even worse, and even more bitter.

How to spot one: They tend to be really old, underweight or overweight, bespectacled, balding but with a ponytail, and they have a taste for patterned sweaters. That weird uncle of yours you think might be a pedophile? Prog fan.

Where to spot one in the wild: They rarely wonder out into public areas, and prefer to stay in their little cabin in the woods.

Debate tactics: Prog fans are masters of the polite insult. And since prog fans tend to be guys in their 50s who still have the grammar skills of a 12 year old, arguing with them can be the most unpleasant experience imaginable. And they like to analize the bloody hell out of every goddamn thing, and they have a tendency to overemphasize words into oblivion.

Things they tend to say:

"Radiohead are NOT progressive, they just imitate U2 songs and throw in some techno and yet critics say they're progressive, they're NOT. They're ALTERNATIVE ROCK. Which is just PUNK ROCK'S inferior version of prog."

"Pop should NEVER be mixed with prog, for that would be HERESY. PROGRESSIVE rock is about caressing one's ears with COMPLEX and CHALLENGING soundscapes, it's NOT about the money, pop is PRIMITIVE music that is purely for PROFIT and thus a CONTRADICTION to prog, therefore they CANNOT be combined."

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote