Music Banter - View Single Post - R.E.M. - Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #62 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95 View Post
Firstly, 'Shiny Happy People' along with 'Stand' suck man. I dont mind 'Losing My Religion' but its so overplayed it really gets on your tits after a while. I think the whole of 'Around The Sun' is excellent & its definitely in their top 5 best albums along with 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' which I cant speak highly enough of (as you may have already noticed).
"Stand" sucks, I agree with that, and the video they made for it is absolutely horrendous. "Shiny Happy People" sucks for the most part, but I personally like it. It's not my favourite though, and I hate how the majority of people who know REM just for their singles automatically associate them with "Shiny Happy People." It's pathetic and I believe the band has even said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
Stand and Shiny Happy People aren't meant to be looked at as serious songs. They were both written to make fun of the popular music on the radio those days. The problem was that people were stupid enough to think that those songs were great pop songs, and they charted highly. I'm sure Michael was cracking up when he heard that his song that was written to make fun of pop music had become a pop song!
Well that's kind of ironic isn't it? I also think that "Stand" ruined the flow of Green, which is one of my favourite albums regardless of that song.

I also heard somewhere that "Shiny Happy People" is not technically a 'happy' song as the band had written it as a response to protests in Tiananmen Square in 1989.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote