Music Banter - View Single Post - The Top Ten Most Infuriating Music Fans Ever
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #70 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

8. Second-gen Nirvana fans

Kurt Cobain is such a weathered punching bag. Immortalized upon his death in 1994, we’ve had scarce precious moments since that day devoid of some sort of slavish obsession with his music. Whether it comes from people lamenting the latest succession to the Twenty-Seven Club or the idiots from VH1 Storytellers, in some form or another Kurt and his band Nirvana have been shoved down public throats in gross detail for about fifteen years. For me, it was a bit of a different story.

Like most other people my age, I really couldn’t give less of a damn when Kurt Cobain died. I’m sure my day was spent just like every other happy five-year-old. Nirvana remained on the radio in solid repeat for a good ten years afterwards (and they might be there still, I don’t know), so I was fairly acquainted with their music. Well into my teens I began to see people – people my age – pay homage to the dead celebrity with butchered covers of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” rank throughout talent shows and garage band performances.

I didn’t understand.

Maybe it was their neediness for a hero, but these kids my age were stepping back ten years or so and latching onto a man who ironically disdained the commercial pap smear that music had become. Whatever their reason, there seemed to be an upshot of idiots that incarnated the fucks brigade incorporated as “the last great rock band”. Since when did heroin abuse and an uncompromising obsession with Neil Young constitute a musical genius?

It didn’t stop there. Fast forward five years or so, I’m in my early twenties now. My first few bands are all projects of my friends and somehow I’m still subject to overexposed morons who grew up on a solid diet of bullshit and Nevermind. Even today, I’m constantly reminded of the conversation I had in seventh grade with a fat fuck on the school bus exalting the virtues of some washed-up grunge band that long outlived their welcome. He said he cried the day that Kurt Cobain died.

Yeah, I would have too if I would have known what blind, toady cunts his death would conceive.