Music Banter - View Single Post - Selected Sounds from a Sweet Wolf and 3 Small Animals Partying in A Cave
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #75 (permalink)
sweet_nothing
Da Hiphopopotamus

"And late in a star's life it begins to explode and all the people in a dream wait for the machine, pick the shit up leave it clean "

Gorillaz- Demon Days

In 1998 Damon Albarn stepped out of the comforts of the best british band of the 90’s Blur to team up with Jamie Hewlett (creator of the comic book Tank Girl) to create a virtual band that would mix elements of rap, techno, electronica, alternative rock, pop and a multitude of other genres and would create orgasmic sounds. They succeeded, with Damon's ear for good music and Jamie’s eye for art they created something that was musically appealing as it is wonderful to look at (have you seen their music videos?). I remember when I got their debut album in the 4th grade, I was blown away but in time I forgot about it as we do only many years later when I became a Blur fan did I find out it was the singer Damon Albarn behind the Gorillaz. So I went out and got Demon Days (Piss me off recommended it to me). The opening track is the sound of the breakdown of society with police sirens and whatnot, the next track which is about the aftermath (as is the rest of the album) Last Living Souls completely fucked my mind. It had elements of hip hop but also classical music and Damon’s detached vocals echo throughout the album. I consider it to be my favorite album ever. I’ve never heard such a span of genres mixed so well (courtesy of producer Danger Mouse) not even Beck could match what goes on in Demon Days. Though Gorillaz ‘band members’ maybe the colorful cast of 2-D (vocals), Murdoc (bass), Noodles (guitar), and Russell (drums) they are also joined by a cast of other musicians including Shaun Ryder from legendary Madchester band Happy Mondays, rapper MF Doom, rap group De la Soul, and even actor Dennis Hopper (Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head) join the ensemble cast of characters. Lyrically the album isn't strong their isn't alot of memorable lines but the music manages to make up for this with themes of desolation and emptiness which ring throughout the album but are often cloaked in catchy beats. From the eternal hopelessness of Last Living Souls to the hopeful Don’t Get Lost in Heaven/Demon days and the ever beautiful Hong Kong the album doesn’t disappoint. I consider this album a modern classic and must be heard at least once by someone who likes good music. I dont know man.

Favorite tracks:
Hong Kong
Last Living Souls
El MaƱana
November Has Come
Feel Good Inc

WATCH THESE (we both know you have nothing better to do)

Feel Good Inc

Dare

Hong Kong (live in Manchester)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartsengrafs View Post
sweet nothing openly flaunts the fact that he is merely the empty shell of an even more unadmirable member. his loneliness and need for attention bleeds through every letter he types. edit: i would just like to add that i'm ashamed that he's from texas. surely you didn't grow up in texas, did you sweet nothing?
sweet_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote