Music Banter - View Single Post - R.E.M. - Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #67 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
"Stand" sucks, I agree with that, and the video they made for it is absolutely horrendous. "Shiny Happy People" sucks for the most part, but I personally like it. It's not my favourite though, and I hate how the majority of people who know REM just for their singles automatically associate them with "Shiny Happy People." It's pathetic and I believe the band has even said so.

Well that's kind of ironic isn't it? I also think that "Stand" ruined the flow of Green, which is one of my favourite albums regardless of that song.

I also heard somewhere that "Shiny Happy People" is not technically a 'happy' song as the band had written it as a response to protests in Tiananmen Square in 1989.
Yeah thats what puts me off the 'Green' album as it has some sh*t on it. Another album I think is worth mentioning is 'Murmur' (a very early one from 1983- maybe their debut) as 'Radio Free Europe' is a good song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
Stand and Shiny Happy People aren't meant to be looked at as serious songs. They were both written to make fun of the popular music on the radio those days. The problem was that people were stupid enough to think that those songs were great pop songs, and they charted highly. I'm sure Michael was cracking up when he heard that his song that was written to make fun of pop music had become a pop song!
I dont look at them as 'serious songs'. Whether they were written to make fun of pop music or not, they still suck & even worse became popular. Surely Michael would have known that catchy songs like that (however bad & especially in the 80s) would climb the charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote