Music Banter - View Single Post - Most infuriating music fans: Boobs edition
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #64 (permalink)
Comus
I'm sorry, is this Can?

They emulate the sound, but not the actual spirit of the genre. Also Radiohead aren't prog becuase they don't do anything remotely prog.

I don't want to Argue Marillion, they're one of those bands that have found success amongst prog fans pretending to be a prog band. Prog fans are stupid, especially progarchives.com fans. I agree that on progarchives, you do have to comment on the "proggyness" of an album. But a lot of people take it way too far. And do it on prog-related reviews as well. Giving the more proggy albums a higher score while slating the arguably better, less prog related albums.

Progarchives are good, but only to a certain point. They get a lot wrong in my opinion. The problem is, if a majority of people on progarchives likes a band, there's a lot higher chance they'll get added, especially amongst the admins. Also saying a band is prog because of a few songs is pathetic, especially considering the only pallatable format for prog is the album setting(well, live works too).

So yeah i've gone off topic. Basically the sound does not qualify for prog, it needs the underlying principles. Also lyrical content doesn't count either or Green Day would be the main prog band of our generation. But of course, prog like indie is a pretty useless way to describe a variety of bands that sound nothing alike.

EDIT: I better get an entry all for myself.
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm

Last edited by Comus; 06-07-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote