Music Banter - View Single Post - My Intro
Thread: My Intro
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post
I've seen a few of your posts, good stuff. You should definitely stick around.

Can you whip out a list of favorites that we can judge you by?
Thanks - as for a list, um..sure, here goes:
*no particular order*

Rock: Black Sabbath, 13th Floor Elevators, Captain Beyond, The Seeds, The Beach Boys, Velvet Underground, AC/DC...

"Indie" Rock stuff: Pavement, Pixies, Will Oldham (et al), Shellac, Helium, Mogwai, Hum, Neutral Milk Hotel, Modest Mouse, Hot Snakes...

Jazz: All the usual suspects -- John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Mingus, Monk, Miles, Ornette Coleman, Benny Goodman, Charlie Christian, Bix Beiderbecke...

Punk/Hardcore: Void, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Ramones, Big Black, The Minutemen...

BritStuff (and Scottish): Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Lush, The Stone Roses, The Cure, The Smiths, The Jesus & Mary Chain...

Metal: ISIS, Baroness, Anthrax (80s), Slayer, Megadeth, Saviours, The Sword...

Hip-Hop: This is one area where I have a real favorite: MF DOOM (every incarnation). Also the classics from the late 80s/early 90s, People Under the Stairs, "indie" rap like stuff on the Anticon and Def Jux labels, turntablists and instrumentalists like DJ Shadow, Cut Chemist, Kid Koala...

Electronic: Aphex Twin (and other early Warp label stuff), DJ /rupture, Burial, Flying Lotus, Boxcutter, The Bug...

Rocksteady/Ska/Reggae/Dub: The Paragons, Anton Ellis (all o' that vintage stuff), Lee 'Scratch' Perry, Augustus Pablo, Skatellites (preferably old w/ Don Drummond), The Specials, The Selecter (Too Much Pressure is one of my all-time favorite albums), Mad Professor...

I guess that's enough for now -- judge away.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote