Music Banter - View Single Post - Please explain: Why do you dislike U2/Bono??
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #81 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Ah, this thread is revived .. You guys do realize Boo Boo's last post there was made in 2006?

Anyways, I think U2 are underrated on MB. I think they have a lot of good stuff up until Achtung Baby and I do appreciate that a band like U2 could gain the sort of fame they did in the 80s. I mean, what else was on the lists at the time? Most of it was way worse and at least U2 had music with some kind of meaning and a conscience. You can complain about Bono being snotty or preachy or whatever, but chances are he's done a lot more for for people in need than you ever will. Give the guy a break.

I am, however, grateful that I know nothing about the hat, commercials, Bono's tedious speeches or anything much they ever did after Pop .. well, aside from the occasional song on the radio. They've probably been popular too long. When they were young, they were fresh, honest and opinionated with something important to tell the world. Most bands lose their creativity and drive at some point in their career and I guess that happened a long time ago. Also, you don't get cool-points for liking U2 these days.

Some day in the future, a new generation will probably rediscover their better stuff and they'll be cool again. I dunno, I think it's a real bad time for them these days.