Music Banter - View Single Post - For the drummers
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sam-Y
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridical Fiction View Post
Sam, I always have been and always will be a drummer. I've been guitarist, singer, bassist... but Drummer is the only position I capitalize on.
You don't need an angel shining a light on you.. Drummers make the backbone of the music, and believe it or not, girls dig drummers.
But none of that is really important.
Being a drummer, to me, is the most rewarding experience in a band. You are ultimately the most flexible person in the band, but the most needed. Eventually your band-mates realize it and it's really you that calls all the shots, rhythmically.

And honestly... from experience... Drummers have the best sense of song structure. So when you argue with your front-man, you're probably in the right.. because front-men don't know fucking shit.
^ Thats the reason I love what I do, and you put it very nicely. At the same time however, as a drummer, I always felt the need to have the "power" to produce melodies also. I felt limited in another sense since you can only produce beats with percussion while most musicians can produce everything else. I love drumming, but I guess this had more to do with me than with drumming only.
Sam-Y is offline   Reply With Quote