Music Banter - View Single Post - The Purity Myth
Thread: The Purity Myth
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
asshat
king of sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i haven't read the book either but i have to comment on this specific part.

the blatant double standard in western society when it comes to statutory rape is appalling. we had the perfect example of this happen in my local area around 2006.

case 1 - a 28 year old female teacher brings a 13 year old male student from her class to her brother's apartment. gets the student drunk, then has a bunch of sex. she originally met him in elementary school.

case 2 - a 33 year old male teacher has a relationship with a 17 year old student who is no longer in his class. he only met her in high school

age of consent is 16.

one of these cases resulted in house arrest, the other in a jail sentence. do i really need to specify who got what sentence?

It is a double standard in sentencing that I think men are just as guilty in supporting. I'm not saying older men getting involved with 16 year old girls is a good thing. But it's assumed that it's non-consensual from the get-go. A teenage girl may have just made a bad mistake, but in addition to dealing with that she has to go through a humiliating legal ordeal that becomes known to everyone in her school and she gets called a slut and a whore. I think the way they approach statutory law for male victims is a more rational approach for the female victims.(Other than glorifying the men as "super-studs").

....it might be more societal attitudes than the legal system itself....if statutory law depends on the victim identifying themselves as "victims"...I don't think there's any investigators giving girls high fives for "scoring with an older guy".