Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #231 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That's probably true a lot of the time, but as someone who has reversed his opinion on a lot of bands over the years I do see a point to it. Sometimes you realize that you haven't heard the band's best album or that you were coming to the band with the wrong set of expectations or not paying attention to the right things about them. A lot of times I'm curious to hear what fans have to say about bands that I don't like but who seem to be well regarded. Sometimes they even win me over.
Yeah I see where you are coming from and paradoxically agree but I have had so many failed attempts on MB I have become sort of battle hardened and realised that once a mind has been made up, it can be a thankless task sometimes.

What I could say in PT'S defence is that their music has constantly evolved and they are not just a heavy band with Prog inclinations. Their first few albums were very ambient keyboard/guitar led.

The other way to look at it is that PT are a fairly easy on the ear type of band so if you don't like them then you probably may never really like them. Yet I would much prefer to big up a band that are more difficult to listen to as they can be the more rewarding. If you like Prog etc then missing out on PT is not a huge biggie but a band with a unique sound may well be worth the time investment. I guess that's how I approach bands and reco's for music.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote