Music Banter - View Single Post - The Charlatans
Thread: The Charlatans
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I think a lot of people love their whole catalogue - and I'm happy for the band but, for me, they were my first experiences with true, massive disappointment.
I was in the store for my CD when Some Friendly came out. It was pretty much love at first sight. I had only heard their single (The Only One I Know) but the CD artwork and that *dead dead good* logo had me sold before I even heard the rest of the songs. They quickly became my favorite band and one of the first bands I saw in a little club. So, when the next album came out I assumed that it would be brilliant - but I found it really boring. It was my first time; I was a disappointment virgin who had been deflowered. I guess I thought that new, young bands could continue to be great forever (hey, I was a damn kid). Oh well, I needed the experience. It prepared me for the disappointment that would soon come from just about every Britpop/Shoegaze band that released albums from that point on.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the Charlatans love. I agree they remained a good band and obviously did a much better job than say, The Stone Roses. But they just bored me to tears after I had gotten so high on Some Friendly.
Yeah the second album is definitely a grower and to me, the albums that grow on you are the best. You should check out 'Simpatico' if you are looking to be totally shocked as I was when I preordered the album back when it first came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote