Music Banter - View Single Post - Tom Waits
Thread: Tom Waits
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #255 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

I FOUND IT!!

Here's how I came to find the Waits.

I was at work one day listening to "Whose Been Talkin'" by Clutch, when the home owner came up and asked me if it was Tom Waits. It was the first time a home owner had ever asked me an objective question about my music, so I was taken aback. And I became suddenly interested in what kind of music Tom Waits made, although I had heard the name many times before.

It wasn't until at least a year or two later that I was rifling through our home studio when I found an album entitled Nighthawks at the Diner by none other than Mr. Waits. I had no idea where it had come from, so I abducted it and it remains in my collection to this day. I still haven't given it back to it's rightful owner, even though I know who it is now.

So it was Nighthawks... that got me started.

Then, one day last summer, my girlfriend and I took a day off together to drink rum and lime-ade on the beach, and eventually found our way to a Barnes and Noble Bookseller. After getting pretty tanked in the Children's section, reading Bernstein Bears and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, we sauntered on over to the CDs and DVDs where I found Rain Dogs. Needless to say, I was mesmerized.

So it was Rain Dogs that got me hooked.

And now, I find myself taking my time with acquiring albums from his repertoire. I have Nighthawks..., Rain Dogs, Real Gone, and Small Change on CD and Swordfishtrombones on vinyl. Small Change being the one that I've not yet become familiar with. From what I've heard so far, though, I don't expect it to be a favorite.
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote