Music Banter - View Single Post - Intellectual Property
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I don't want this to so much be about music and what not but rather the extent to which one can claim a sense of intellectual ownership. In particular I want to talk about the Holocaust Memorial Park and the controversy surrounding that. Basically there was a plan to honor the other groups that suffered under the Nazi persecution (homosexuals, political dissidents, etc.) and it was argued that that was unacceptable as the holocaust was "uniquely a Jewish event."

There were other claims made that were more obviously absurd, for instance that the Jewish community owned the city park (which is exactly public property and belongs to no other group then the citizens of that city.)

Anyway back to what I was getting at. I just find it peculiar that they're claiming ownership over the Holocaust. I understand, the Jewish population were the largest victimized group but to treat it like somehow that means the other victims didn't exist or don't deserve the same level of honoring is offensive and bigoted. I don't understand how they can treat this event like it is somehow, "uniquely Jewish" there's no intellectual point to back that statement.
it would be different if the other involved parties were just collateral damage, but the Nazis targeted plenty of other people, including Slavic Catholics, homosexuals, political dissidents, communists, Gypsies and generally anyone who seemed an anomaly in the stride for "a wholly German nation." to suggest that the Holocaust is uniquely Jewish is to invalidate the tragic losses for which plenty of other peoples suffered (in excess of 2 million).

this ignorant and disparaging effort for totality will undoubtedly be marked a stain upon the Jewish community's good will.