Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #96 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Just so you all know, the review of the new album's going up tonight, if not tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95 View Post
Alright I didnt know you were such a big Elvis Costello fan. He is a good artist but I just cant handle his voice for some reason lol. 'Pump It Up' is one of the few songs of his I really like and I (used to) have the 'Brutal Youth' and 'Spike' albums but couldnt get into either of them so just sold them on. I also had his 'Best Of The First 10 Years' which I bought in an attempt to get into him. I only liked a few tracks though and thought there was ,what is to me a lot of drivel, especially towards the end.
Sounds like it was never meant to be!

A lot of people I know can't get past the voice, so I get that all the time from various non-fans. It's the same kind of result you'll get from some people if you try and introduce them to Dylan, the Fall, Scott Walker or anyone else who has a very distinct vocal style. You probably won't read this 'til your ban's expired, but if you're up for giving him another chance, Pump It Up is from his This Year's Model album (there's a review of it anda few videos on the first page of this thread) and has a lot of similar-sounding songs on it, so I'd recommend giving that a go at the very least.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote