Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #103 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Idle Race - The Birthday Party
(1968)

Tracks

1 Skeleton and the Roundabout 2:16
2 Happy Birthday 3:16
3 Birthday 2:09
4 I Like My Toys 1:45
5 Morning Sunshine 2:45
6 Follow Me, Follow 2:45
7 Sitting in My Tree 2:50
8 On With the Show 2:20
9 Lucky Man Lynne 2:35
10 Mrs. Ward 2:10
11 Pie in the Sky 2:23
12 The Lady Who Said She Could Fly 2:17
13 End of the Road 2:05

It has often been said on The Cellar Tapes radio show that when it came to the music scenes of the 1960’s, the talent coming from the Birmingham area of Great Britain was something quite remarkable, easily competing with the scenes of Liverpool and London if not more so. One such band who added to this wonderful Birmingham scene were The Idle Race; formed from the ashes of The Nightriders, as with most Birmingham bands, the personnel of the group altered a number of times in the mid sixties until they settled with a line-up headed by Jeff Lynne.

Signed to Liberty in 1967, The Idle Race released their first single in the UK in the October of that year; The Impostors of Life’s Magazine/ Sitting In My Tree was rightfully very well received by musical critics but unfortunately suffered from low record sales. Despite this initial setback, Liberty stayed strong and yet more singles by The Idle Race emerged throughout 1968, right up to the debut LP release, and what a marvellous debut it was.

The Birthday Party by The Idle Race was released in October 1968 on Liberty; this is yet another fine example of the standard of Psychedelia being produced from Britain during the 67/68 wonder years, quite easily up there with the some of the best albums of the period as well, yet like with so many other masterpieces, it remains to this day overlooked. It was recorded at the Advision Studios in London, 13 tracks in all including the initial singles as well as some brilliant new stuff, at just over 30 minutes it is most definitely a must have.

The album begins with the bands second UK single; The Skeleton & The Roundabout, not totally what this album is about but certainly a good place to start, it is such a fabulously jolly and upbeat piece of Psychedelia, you as the listener will instantly fall in love with The Idle Race after one listen of this opening track, I have no doubt.

In contrast, the third track on this LP is a lot more moody but yet remains an absolute corker; The Birthday starts with a bit of brass and is followed with some sorrowful vocals from Lynne in a classic 1920’s gramophone style. The mood of this song from there on in remains downbeat, but throughout remains gorgeous. Another pretty and moody song is Morning Sunshine, a song which I am very fond of at the moment, and the gramophone style continues on the brilliant anti war song, the cracking Mrs Ward.

Normal service resumes with I Like My Toys, with The Idle Race serving up some marvellous Toy Town Pyschedelia, this song is about a 30 year old man who is obsessed with toys and certainly has a hint of The Teenage Opera about it. More Pop efforts arrive with Sitting In My Tree and not forgetting the best upbeat song on the album, Lucky Man; the tale of a man who has many negative things occur to him in one day, an ambitious and amusing song, its written and produced wonderfully resulting in a very addictive gem.

So all in all a fine debut, stunningly creative and quirky, this is one of the best examples of Psychedelic Pop you could ever want to own, as well as having some beautiful numbers rolled in, combining brilliantly inventive song writing with excellent production, its an album that you cannot go wrong with. As for The Idle Race, well two more strong albums would follow this excellent debut and of course you already know about Jeff Lynne.....

Reviewing aside, seriously, buy this!
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote