Music Banter - View Single Post - It's "uncool" to like a band if your parents like them.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWP View Post
Does anyone here actually think this? I believe it's why alot of people my age don't like music that's older than 15-20 years. I believe that most teens think that music that they're parents listen to is "uncool" simply because of the fact that they listen top it. Who else believes this, and do you think this too? Discuss.
Even growing up I never had that attitude because (a) both my parents have very broad tastes in music and (b) I've always appreciated music history. My mom always surprises me by what music of mine she actually likes (Kid Koala is an example that comes to mind) and my dad is as big a music fan as I am with a gigantic record collection spanning all kinds genres and eras. He's responsible for introducing me to Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, The Animals, The Stones, The Beach Boys, Warren Zevon, CCR, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Ike Turner, Johnny Cash, Dick Dale, The Ventures, The Trashman, Grover Washington Jr. and Keith Jarrett, as well as boatloads of obscure early rock n roll and doo wop. To this day we still trade music with each other. I can't imagine ever not being interested in that.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote