Music Banter - View Single Post - It's "uncool" to like a band if your parents like them.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWP View Post
Does anyone here actually think this? I believe it's why alot of people my age don't like music that's older than 15-20 years. I believe that most teens think that music that they're parents listen to is "uncool" simply because of the fact that they listen top it. Who else believes this, and do you think this too? Discuss.
**** that! My folks are the main reasons that music is such a big part of my life. My dad played in a band when I was a kid, and we didn't watch a whole lot of TV; we mostly listened to music.

And I'll do you all one better. On a road trip in 2005, my brothers and I stopped in Cleveland, OH to see our grandfather who introduced us to ****in' AWESOME music. I don't know if anybody on this thread knows who Billy Cobham is - he was a big session musician in the 60s and 70s, and played drums for the Mahavishnu Orchestra. But he played Billy Cobham's Spectrum, and we were all blown away.

I think the whole stigma about not liking what your parents like has always been a large nuance of the generation gaps that have been going on since forever. So anybody that thinks they are "standing out" or "starting something" by throwing away what their parents dig, they are mistaken.
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote