Music Banter - View Single Post - For the drummers
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Sam-Y
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher View Post
You should try playing in a limited volume environment... When I used to play with my old band in school I was constantly the loudest element and everyone had to turn up to match me. That is a pretty awesome feeling.

That said, I picked up the bass a year or two ago, trying to get some melody into my musicianship... I think it's sometimes a lot more rewarding to learn a song on bass than drums. But I do love playing drums, especially to bands like Queens of the Stone Age where you can just appreciate jamming out.

Coolest thing about drumming is that you're nearly always in demand, but it's hard to form bands because it's tough to do a lot of songwriting. I do a lot of the arrangement in my band, organizing the riffs and whatnot, and sometimes I'll contribute a riff or suggestion, but it's not quite the same.
It is very rewarding, as a drummer, to learn a song on another instrument. I still think it's a good idea for drummers to invest in another instrument. Most drummers I know play guitar for example.

It's true that we're always in demand, there aren't too many of us. I think a lot of people consider learning drums but then decide to invest in guitar or bass because of it's versatility and also because it's portable. Owning a drum set is a pain in the ass when it comes to storage, noise, tuning, and moving. So much work involved which I think is the reason there aren't too many drummers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
Theres your reason. Being the best comes with a price.
That's true. As a drummer, you become very important since you are always in demand yet hard to find.
Sam-Y is offline   Reply With Quote