Music Banter - View Single Post - Straight Edge
Thread: Straight Edge
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #85 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher View Post
You need a movement in order to live a clean lifestyle? Why can't you just say "no thanks"? I don't think it was some kind of drug abstinence program designed to lengthen the lives of punk kids. If it's nothing more than a lifestyle then it doesn't need a name or the movement or a tattoo or anything anymore than vegetarianism does.
It's a movement because they want to get their message across. It's not a social club, it's a message. And my "posers" comment was referring to those who already live a clean lifestyle but don't know the first thing about the music involved, if they claim to be straight edge than they are, indeed, posers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I actually pity these people who feel the need to make a big deal about themselves because they abstain from having sex.

Imagine you spend years of your life being preachy & feeling self righteous over not doing it, saying you want the first time to be really meaningful & special.

Then you meet 'the one' and then after 5 minutes of sweating, grunting, embarrassment , awkwardness & discomfort you get the feeling of crushing disappointment that you've wasted your life taking the moral high ground over something so trivial & meaningless.

That has to suck.
Once again this isn't about obstaining from sex. There is no "code" that says anyone who is a part of this movement has to be a virgin. It is for the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases. If you are having sex with prostitutes, skanks or somebody who you just met at a show than (although the likelyhood of this is up to debate) it is very possible to contract a sexually transmitted disease.

From my experience with these people, the real straight edgers don't take some sort of "moral highground" on the matter.

Last edited by someonecompletelyrandom; 06-13-2009 at 12:52 PM.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote