Music Banter - View Single Post - The 25 Best Songs Of The Decade
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
OOS
Music Addict

Default The 25 Best Songs Of The Decade

I'm relatively new here, but i've been wanting to do one of these and I thought, what better place to put it than MusicBanter? Also, I want to give people a sense of my music taste.

So, i'm counting down what are, in my opinion, the 25 best songs of the decade. I'm very into pop (not top 40 pop, more Beatles kind of pop), which may result in lot's of disagreement over some of my choices, but debates part of the fun of these things. Also, i'm always looking for constructive criticism for my writing, so if you have any comments please post them.

Anyway, here we go, with number 25:

25: Radiohead - Optimistic

Perfectly placed in the middle of the dark, brooding Kid A, Optimistic provides a welcome repite from the albums claustrophic atmosphere. In fact, Optimistic is everything that the rest of Kid A isn't: it's warm, hopeful, and led by a flurry of layered guitars. There is certainly a melancholy air to the whole thing, but it's subtle, a murmer rippling under the surface of a perfect piece of guitar rock.

From the opening the pace is immediately set. Jangling guitar parts wash underneath Thom's falsetto "ooh"s before the main guitar riff rises out of the noise and the proper verse begins. The transition into the chorus is barely distinguishable, the melody changing and a couple guitar parts entering over top of the songs basic clatter. The melody here is one of the best that the band have ever put to tape, a beautifully sad combination of notes that contrasts perfectly with the songs main line (you can try the best you can/you can try the best you can/the best you can is good enough). Surprisingly, through all of this the band manage to uphold the albums sense of atmosphere, which lends a sense of flow to a song that easily could have broken the albums carefully constructed continuity.

Layered, atmospheric, and emotional, Optimistic fully earns itself a spot among Kid A's best, and a spot among the best of the decade.
OOS is offline   Reply With Quote