Music Banter - View Single Post - El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead (2007)
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Abominable Homan
Music Addict

Default El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead (2007)

I wrote this a little while back for RYM, it's ok I suppose.

Tracklist:
  1. Tasmanian Pain Coaster
  2. Smithereens
  3. Up All Night
  4. EMG
  5. Drive
  6. Dear Sirs
  7. Run The Numbers
  8. Habeas Corpses (Draconian Love)
  9. The Overly Dramatic Truth
  10. Flyentology
  11. No Kings
  12. The League of Extraordinary Nobodies
  13. Poisenville Kids No Wins / Reprise (This Must Be Our Time)

Despite being his second solo album, this is hardly a man new to making music. He has done work with Company Flow during their time, and produced several albums (a large part of those found on his label, Def Jux), including the classics Aesop Rock's Labor Days and Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein. So it's no surprise that this album hardly sounds like a sophomore effort, but rather the music of a veteren to the game.

From all I've heard, El-P is, quite possibly, the greatest producer to ever have lived. This is a very strong statement, I realize, but really no one seems to be capable of what he does album after album. This is a dark, anxious, apocalyptic record. Never before has this atmosphere been achieved through a rap album as well as El-P has done. The music is dense...not overwhelmingly so, but maybe it can be a bit much at first to those used to things a bit more minimalistic. However, once you get into it and can handle everything going on, it's beautiful. The surprising guest appearance by The Mars Volta especially complements the first song; Omar and Cedric manage to restrain themselves and the result is a wonderful way to end one of the strongest openers ever written in music. It does a lot to tell you how the rest of the album sounds.

Then we get to the rapping, another huge factor. Here, our man El-P also delivers. He has a great flow that fits with the music perfectly. It's not as smooth as, for example, Snoop, but it's not intended to be. Something extremely smooth and flowing would feel out of place in this paranoid atmosphere. Instead, you can hear a bit of the paranoia and nervousness in his voice itself. The lyrics are also strong; they're dark, but never too serious and dark for their own good. The other guest appearances are great as well. A collection of his Def Jux friends add a verse, but they all contribute much, much more to the album overall than the minute or two in which they're featured.

What we are left with is a masterpiece. A triumph in everything El-P set out to do, and quite possibly even more than he even dreamed could be realized through this album. It contains some very highly above average rapping, coupled with absolutely inhuman production. This is a gem no one should miss.

Strongest tracks: Tasmanian Pain Coaster, The Overly Dramatic Truth, Poisenville Kids No Wins / Reprise (This Must Be Our Time)

Weakest tracks: None, honestly.

Overall rating: 10/10

Last edited by The Abominable Homan; 06-13-2009 at 09:24 PM.
The Abominable Homan is offline   Reply With Quote