Music Banter - View Single Post - NeutralHead Collective - In The Merryweather Rainbow over the Spectacular (2009)
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #80 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
i agree with you entirely, and honestly, i would call any music released on an indie label "indie" it gets me pissed off that bands like the white stripes, death cab, coldplay, the decemberists, oasis, etc. are considered indie on any level. most of them released music on indie labels originally but all of them are now released on major labels. even radiohead isn't an "indie" band (although they will always be special in my mind because of their releasing in rainbows for free). out of the four bands that you were making fun of, i only consider two "indie" (NMH released by Merge and Animal Collective released by Domino). radiohead makes alt/ soft rock and so does MGMT. indie, like punk rock and every other retaliatory music movement (except for new age and avant garde) has been whored and commercialized.

my only point is, don't hate on indie people for liking this stuff because there are a lot of really devoted fans out there.

pitchfork does not make an indie band popular. ITAOTS had a very small but devoted following that has slowly grown since it was released 11 years ago. Pitchfork may have helped slightly but to say that the entire indie system is based on pitchfork is just wrong, you are overestimating pitchfork's influence a lot.
People don't realise, it's just a fucking website...