Music Banter - View Single Post - El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead (2007)
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Abominable Homan
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitonica View Post
I love this album, the best thing he's ever done by a fair margin. In fact, it has edged out Madvillainy as my favourite rap album ever. He's definitely my favourite producer, and pretty much the reason Def Jux is such a dope label.

I feel like this is a more accessible album than he's done in the past, especially lyrically. His songs are much more thematically cohesive, and coherent than before, and a storytelling ability that you didn't really see in CoFlow or Fantastic Damage. I wouldn't say he has a 'great flow', rapping is generally his weakness - sometimes he is brilliant (No Kings) but despite being my favourite off the album, the last two verses on Poisenville Kids has some pretty bad flow.

Here's a similarly glowing review I wrote a while back.

EL-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead (2007)
I agree that his rapping is weaker compared to his production, but I've still never personally had a problem with it. I know many do though.

I agree that this is probably my favorite rap album, and I love Madvillainy as well. Good tastes man.

As for the link, I don't have time at the moment, but I can get you one tonight I think. That is, if that's allowed. I'm new, someone stop me if I shouldn't be talking about downloading and the like.
The Abominable Homan is offline   Reply With Quote