Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst book you've ever read
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #75 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido red View Post
I am not a religious person at all and don't know if I believe in any existence of a god, but the Bible contains some very moving passages and stories with strong messages about the morals and values of human beings.
And this is what makes it a good book, more so if people focus on taking these values to heart instead of enforcing doctrine and biblical law in a militant way...which brings me to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I agree that it is indeed vivid and it's prose is not in question but I disagree with it being forced upon you as a subject at school and that an opposing view on a particular passage was discouraged which is something I cannot agree with. Religion should always be about choice and it is something that I choose not to follow. My parents were not religious whatsoever yet I was brought up to be a good person without them using the bible for guidance.

I will never question someones religious beliefs at all but the bible was as much a historical writing and all historical books have been called into question but the bible seems untouchable for many many people including annoying self righteous school teachers who would then turn around and whack someone across the kuckles for not paying attention. Hhmm.
You are absolutely correct. It is forced on people at times, which really is a stupid thing to do. Anything you force on someone, especially children, is usually going to be rebelled against and thereby negates the point of bible teaching if you ask me. And I would like to make clear that I'm in no way suggesting all people must read the Bible and follows it's principles to be good people. For some it has been beneficial, but as you say, many have been raised without the influence of the Bible or any religious teachings and have become outstanding good people as well.

Last edited by NSW; 06-14-2009 at 07:02 AM.
NSW is offline   Reply With Quote