Music Banter - View Single Post - Last FM
Thread: Last FM
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #3050 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

1. The Kinks (36)
Played Preservation Act 1 for the second time, and Preservation Act 2 for the first time. The first is pretty good with a couple of great tracks, but pales in comparison to their earlier stuff. The second I found absolutely terrible.

2. The Mars Volta (34)
Revisiting their catalog in preparation for the new album. Didn't fit Bedlam in, will likely play it Monday at the office.

3. Mr. Bungle (33)
Revisited their three studio albums.

4. Swingin' Utters (32)
Great punk rock band with a heavy Americana influence. Kind of cow punk I guess. I first picked up their 2000 self-titled album in the decade, based on a song they had on a Fat Wreck Chords compilation (I love most of those comps). Though I wasn't feeling it too much for many years. Finally last year I pulled it back off the shelf for another listen and I really took to it. So I picked up a few of their other albums and have been digging them since. These plays are from the self-titled and their last studio album, Dead Flowers, Bottles, Bluegrass, and Bones from 2003.

5. Clark (24)
Continuing the Clark-fest from last week. Great stuff, can't wait for the new album in July.

6. Fugazi (16)
I played 13 Songs and the Furniture EP.

6. Meat Puppets (16)
I played Meat Puppets II, first time listening to any of their albums. I enjoyed it quite a bit, probably a second listen next week. I was familiar with the songs performed by Nirvana on their Unplugged in NY album, excellent covers and excellent originals.

6. Leatherface (16)
Played Mush again. Yeah it's good but I think it's a bit overrated. I realize they probably were a big influence on many 90s punk rock bands but it doesn't stand out as different enough to really impress me.

9. Yardbirds (14)
Played Roger the Engineer, first time checking out one of their albums. I had it on low volume on the desktop speakers while sitting at home, so I wasn't really able to form an opinion.

9. Propagandhi (14)
Potemkin City Limits. Third listen I think, sounding more hardcore now than on the first listen, closer to the albums before and after. So that's good.

11. Built to Spill (13)
Did some driving with my girlfriend's tape deck-equipped car last weekend so I pulled out this dubbed tape, There's Nothing Wrong with Love. Then I scrobbled it digitally in the evening. Probably still my favorite BtS album.

11. Jawbreaker (13)
Dear You, the flip-side to the dubbed tape mentioned above that I played while driving around.

13. Grizzly Bear (12)
Played the new album once. Not very impressed so far, pretty subtle stuff. Really makes me wonder why people dig this type of stuff so much. I do really like the track "Two Weeks" though, I'd hear that a few times on the local indie station before playing this.