Music Banter - View Single Post - Why I hate Metallica
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #300 (permalink)
Hesher
Palm Muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
Yeah, but as much as people slag off St. Anger, at least it dared to be a little different and not be a rehash of their earlier sound... some parts of St Anger don't work so well, but it was by no means a reason to ditch the whole sound and direction you were going in - and relaunch yourself as a rehash band aka AC/DC...

I even like Death Magnetic and I am saying this... as good as it sounds from time to time, it loses the sense of freedom to explore new ground that St Anger tried to introduce...
I just think that Metallica were never really broad-spectrum musicians and even though they were willing to jump the thrash genre and experiment (load, reload, etc.) they were too afraid of losing the Metallica name. Guys like Josh Homme know when a band has done it's job (when it was time for Kyuss to end) and how to keep a band open in terms of potential to prevent it from being pigeonholed. Metallica as Metallica ended after 1991's Black Album, and they just didn't know when to quit and start anew. Anybody who bought St. Anger would also have bought the cd of a side project involved Hetfield and Ulrich. There is just so much good music out there that it makes it arrogant and ridiculous to believe you can rest on your laurels and continue to crank out regurgitations of your previous material. There is also no excuse for the terrible production quality on St. Anger, no matter how much of a "garage" sound they were going for. The ability to tune a snare is something I am not surprised Ulrich lacks.

I have little to no respect for Metallica anymore, or any of it's members save Jason who recently retired.