Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #105 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Whew... Looks like I've got my work cut out for me tonight. I'll sort out as much of this as I can; I already have to up a few albums for people and I'd like to do another 4 for my top 100 tonight. I'll do the Pixies and the Grateful Dead tonight for sure, then see what I else I can manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
The Decemberists are pretty good from what I've heard. They have been described as an indie prog band.

I'm somewhat conflicted over that.

I am interested in a comp, I'd download it.
Hmm I don't know about that. I'm honestly not too clear on what exactly defines prog; I was reading through an argument you and Comus were having somewhere on here and it confused the hell out of me even more. If the definition of prog is a band that uses albums to tell stories, then I suppose they could be considered one. This is particularly true with the album The Hazards of Love, which tells a story about a woman, her lover (who is a shapeshifter), his mother (a forest queen) and an immoral man. The Crane Wife also tells two separate stories throughout the album, one about the crane wife (surprise), an old Japanese folk tale I believe, and a story that I think is based off of the Tempest.

As far as musical sound, they have a soft, baroque pop type sound throughout most of their albums. You'll have to check it out and find out. The comp will be a bit hard to do, as some of their best songs are very long, but I'll do my best to cover their career. It'll be up in the next couple of days for sure.

EDIT: Sorry guys, work is kicking my ass now (cuz I'm too busy working on my top 100 while I'm there :/) and I'm really busy what with sister's graduation and so on, but I will get these up by Friday. Doesn't seem like anyone's too concerned anyway... Sorry though, I'll do my best to get this up as soon as I can.

Last edited by music_phantom13; 06-16-2009 at 08:16 PM.
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote