Music Banter - View Single Post - Hello from VEGANGELICA
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleighJane View Post
lol i completely agree :]
i mean seriously no one wants to hear a bunch of people whining about eating cows...
Hi, AshleighJane...
Thank you for sharing your views. Actually, there *are* quite a few people who like to hear others whine and even sing about eating cows. Generally, whatever the topic or type of music, there is at least *someone* somewhere on the planet who likes the message of a song or how it is presented. There are even people who like heavy metal! (gasp!) (I decided to give country music lovers a break, since I know they get a lot of flack).

AshleighJane, if you don't like to hear people whine about slaughtering and eating cows, how about calves, pigs, piglets, sheep, lambs, horses, goats, birds of all kinds, fish, cats, dogs, monkeys, apes, whales, and dolphins...most of whom people kill because, well, they just like how they taste? Do those animals *all* sit happily within your stomach? Do *any* cause a twinge of indigestion, and, if so, what are the reasons? Or, is how something tastes more important than all other concerns?

You may not realize that there is much more to veganism than concern about one animal species.

For example, do you support converting even more Brazilian rainforest to agricultural land to grow soybeans (for several years before the ground is spent) to ship to European markets to feed pigs for the wealthy?

Are you happy (or aware) that 1/3rd of the world's grain and 1/2 of the world's fish catch go to feeding livestock (Oxfam data), a huge diversion of money, time, and energy, while nearly 1 billion people on the planet try to survive on less than $1 per day, with over 800 million of them malnourished?

Those are all vegan causes and issues. I often find that many people don't know about the repercussions of our eating habits and food choices. I certainly didn't when I was a child growing up in the Midwest, because nobody talked...or sang...about treating animals kindly.

--Erica
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote