Music Banter - View Single Post - Does anyone like Breakbeats anymore?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Have you heard Meat Katies Fabriclive mix? That's one damn fine mix.
I am playing this mix now, on the last track actually. I think it's a fine mix but is far too progressive for my taste, when it comes to breaks. Many atmospheric slow-downs (the kind of stuff that always bored/irritated me when I was actually on a dancefloor) and the type of vocal samples typically found in progressive house. I own several progressive breaks sets and like them to a degree, but in general I prefer my breaks a bit darker, colder, more clinical I suppose. Stuff usually labeled as nu-skool, funky, or UK breaks, all of which work best with an abundance of fat basslines. This Meat Katie mix feels a little too warm and accessible. And honestly I feel it seriously lacked fat basslines as well. But I do find it more enjoyable than the TCR50 mix I posted above...which suffered from a bassline deficiency but didn't offer much in their place.

There were definitely several tracks that jumped out at me, and the mix is good in the sense that it's mixed well and flows well. I didn't really dislike any tracks. It's just not what I'd reach for when I want to hear some breaks. Kind of the same way I prefer garage, deep, funky, or jazzy house over progressive house. Any type of progressive electronic brings in elements of trance, and I'm not a fan of trance for the most part. I like it more raw and less atmospheric, if that makes sense.