Music Banter - View Single Post - Why I hate Metallica
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #330 (permalink)
TheCunningStunt
love will tear you apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher View Post
I just think that the Black Album was sort of the final chapter in the life of Metallica before they began to make big changes in terms of their sound, their production, their lineup, their relationships with each other and etc. I think after that it became a different band that should have been something other than Metallica, which I daresay would have been healthier for them musicially/creatively if they mixed it up with some other musicians. It's almost at the point where you have to identify yourself as an "old" fan or a "new" fan, because the demographic of people who listen to Metallica's modern music as opposed to the kind of people who would have gone to see them play songs off Kill 'Em All is radically different. I didn't expect "new groundbreaking innovative stuff", although that's how high the bar is set for other musicians... I just didn't expect albums like Load to be attributed to the Metallica of Ride The Lightning days. IMO, it sounds like Theory of a Deadman covering Venom or something ridiculous.

I can see what you're saying, The Black Album was the last piece of real genius that has come out of them however I don't see why you have to identify yourself as a old fan or a new fan, I listen to ...And Justice For All, Master of Puppets and indeed their new album, so what kind of fan would I be classed as? I just class myself as a Metallica fan. I don't understand why people say they don't like the band anymore because they aren't as good as they once were. The music they produced, we can listen to that for years to come but people - due to the controversy and them "selling out" etc. people decide to not appreciate the great music they made, I think I'll always love The Black Album. I'll be more than happy if they make the next album anywhere near as good as Death Magnetic.