Music Banter - View Single Post - Why I hate Metallica
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #333 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I think a large degree comes from, as I've been told, the "universe of **** it gave way to" a la Godsmack, Korn, Limp Bizkit's
To be fair. Bands like Faith No More, RATM and Alice In Chains are more responsable for that.

Quote:
I guess peopel saw the lightening up of the sound, a more rock oriented move, to bring the dawn of the nu-metal era.
Yeah, the "sellout" album always gets the bum rap regardless of it's actual quality.

That applies to everything from Yes's 90125 to Queen's The Game to Genesis's Abacab to David Bowie's Let's Dance.

Fans don't want good albums or for bands to try different things, they want albums that conform to the style they're most accustomed to hearing. It's a hipster thing, a band releases an album with universial appeal and gains them a whole new audience, then the older fans rant like little school children. "We were here first".

Quote:
I don't agree with that, I feel if anything, Metallica led only to a small portion of that. Ultimatly, no band of that era matched skill levels
I disagree on that. I think if anything Metalica were one of the least technically competent big metal bands, at least they were when Burton died.

Lars isn't a really good drummer, Hammett is nowhere near as skilled as many other metal lead guitarists, Newsted was a decent bassist but never had much to do and and because he could never match up to what Burton did, he's gotten a very bum rap.

It's Hetfield that really held the band together, and it's his skills as both a rhythm guitarist and a songwriter that put's Metallica leagues above their peers.

Quote:
or used general topics like they did (maybe general lyrics, which is a lot different and a lot worse)
Well Megadeth also wrote songs about political and social topics. But then again, Megadeth was always Dave Mustaine's bitter attempt to outdo his former bandmates at whatever they did.

Quote:
The metal kids themselves clearly hate it because it doesn't sound like a wrench in the gears at the chainsaw factory. I could probably make a platnium selling metal album so long as I looped tightly enough the sounds metal objects crashing to the ground.

And thats really what modern metal is, Stomp with darker overtones.

I concur.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.