Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #648 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Fuel for discussion:

"As long as Christianity is the dominant belief system America, we cannot afford to be biblically or theologically illiterate, regardless of our personal beliefs. To save the country, nit to mention the planet, we are all called once more to ask the most basic theological questions: 'Who was Jesus before he was the Christ? What does it really mean to follow him as a teacher and not just worship him as a supernatural deity on a rescue mission?'"
Robin R. Meyers - Saving Jesus From the Church
I would agree on account of the fact that the Bible is pretty culturally significant. All sorts of good literature makes references to it. Any intelligent person must know the staple stories of the Bible (Adam and Eve, Jesus, David and Goliath, etc.)

I don't even understand how teaching the Bible as any other book would be favoring a religion. It has an undeniable influence on all sorts of great books. Teaching it as if it were a novel would be great in my opinion. Of course, their are parts that are more important to know than others.

I am a weak atheist. I still believe that some religious texts say some profound things to ponder about. I certainly believe that at least the Bible should be read. After all, we read Greek mythology.

I don't think that knowing the Bible will save the planet at all though. That claim is outrageous. Even that sort of "save the planet" attitude is poison in my mind. Then people forget about their own existence and start being-in-others and such.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote